Mark your calendar for April 3, 2013 for the American Heart Association's National Walking Day - always the first Wednesday each April.
Sign up now to receive your FREE, downloadable Tool Kit. It includes lots of fun materials and tips to easily promote National Walking Day in your workplace and make your special event a success. Look for a link to the kit in your confirmation email.
National Walking Day
Get Up and Move
These days, adults like you are spending more time at work than ever before. An unfortunate side effect is that, as a nation, we're becoming more inactive. This is a problem when you consider the fact that physical inactivity doubles the risk of heart disease!
But take heart! It's a problem you can help fix by convincing your company to take part in the American Heart Association's National Walking Day.
On this day, employees are encouraged to wear sneakers to work and take at least 30 minutes out of their day to get up and walk. It's a great way to raise awareness of the importance of physical activity and to give your coworkers a friendly push toward a healthier life.
Get the Ball Rolling - Sign Up for Your Toolkit!
It's simple to get your company to participate in National Walking Day. Start by having your HR representative or Worksite Wellness coordinator fill out this registration form to download the National Walking Day Toolkit for your company. It includes posters, flyers, a PowerPoint presentation and signs, which you can use to set up walking paths around the office. Look for the link to the kit in your confirmation email.
Get Others Involved
- Begin by inviting coworkers to wear their sneakers to work
- Encourage employees to get in their 30 minutes of walking that day.
- Change one of your meetings to a walking meeting, and let your colleagues know why.
- Start Shopping for some physical activity gear. It shows you support the American Heart Association's walking movement.
- Host a walk and/or rally to show your commitment to living longer, healthier lives.
- Get the word out about your walk by first registering for our free, downloadable National Walking Day Tool Kit. In your confirmation e-mail you'll have a link to access posters, flyers, e-mail scripts and more to easily promote National Walking Day in your workplace.
- Join others across the country and be part of the solution to get America walking.
- Discover and share more information from the American Heart Association about why physical activity is so important.
- Rally your family, friends and neighbors to walk that day - and every day.
Statistics show that 1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women are at risk for heart disease, and research shows that poor lifestyle is a major contributor. From walking clubs and paths to cooking tips and easy-made recipes, the American Heart Associationís My Heart.My Life. healthy living initiative is working to help individuals and families understand how to get active and eat healthy Ė all part of the American Heart Associationís 2020 goal. Donít stop with signing up for Heart Walk; use our American Heart Association Walking Clubs and Walking Paths to keep you walking every day. Visit MyHeartMyLife.org to learn more.